Stand Up Paddle is a sport that involves paddling a large surfboard with a paddle. The sport first appeared in the 1940s. It was Duke Kahanamoku and the Beach Boys of Waikiki in Hawaii who used large boards made of wood to catch waves and photograph tourists at the line up.
Learning to stand up paddle remains a difficult activity in the ocean. This is why the environment of Biscarrosse is particularly suitable for this activity with its Landes water bodies allowing to practice stand up paddle in any condition.
The Hoya SUP school offers beginners' courses mainly at Biscarrosse lake, in calm water protected from the wind. This activity is accessible from the age of 5. Our school offers paddleboarding for all levels: beginners, calm water outings, etc.
Surfing is a sport that is more than 1000 years old and is deeply rooted in the customs of the inhabitants of the Basque coast. Initiate yourself to the sensations of surfing and experience surfing on our beautiful Landes beaches, with our qualified surf instructors. They will give you their best advice for guaranteed sensations. The best way to progress at your own pace while having fun!
This activity is accessible from 8 years old. Surfing lessons take place on the Vivier beach.
We give 1h30 lessons in the water. Appointments are always made half an hour in advance so that you do not lose time in the water. The timetable of our courses is planned according to the tides and your level, and can be modified according to the weather. We only have groups of 8 people, which allows our instructors to focus on the progress of each person and allows you to make the best progress. The boards are brought to the beach by the instructors, so you don't have to carry them. All you have to do is put on your wetsuit and enjoy the moment to the full!
Do you already know how to surf?
Do you already have the basics?
Do you want to enjoy skiing without taking lessons?
We also offer our equipment for hire:
The Hoya team consists of a qualified instructor and a secretary from 15 March to 15 November. During the two summer months of July and August, the school hires a person to transport the youngsters to the lakes.
The human resources thus put in place enable us to meet all expectations in perfect safety conditions and guarantee a good educational follow-up, as well as a good reception of the public.
The main structure is located on the ocean square, equipped with a reception point, secure male/female changing rooms and showers, allowing participants to store their personal belongings.
The secondary structure is located at the entrance of the Campéole le vivier campsite, arranged as a reception point and a starting point in order to better distribute the surf/stand up participants.
Supervision and safety
All the instructors are holders of the BNSSA (national certificate of safety and aquatic rescue), the State certificate of Sports Educator Surfing or the Professional Certificate of Youth and Popular Education and Sports option surfing, or are in the process of acquiring one of these two state certificates or hold a specific qualification surfing and / or bodyboard.
Before the beginning of the season, the instructors follow a continuous control given by the Biscarrosse Olympique Sauvetage et secourisme, related to the accidents likely to occur during their exercise.
Each monitor has a safety bag containing :
- First aid kit
- Mobile phone
- Oxygen therapy unit (in case of a closed first aid station located at the reception point)
The Hoya Surf and SUP School is equipped with stand up boards for all levels.
For beginners we have foam boards, suitable for all sizes.
Once the basics are learned and participants are able to follow an ocean course, learning can continue on more technical SUPs made of epoxy or resin.
We have adjustable paddles that fit any size.
Life jackets of all sizes are available.
Wetsuits are also available in a variety of sizes and thicknesses depending on the season, allowing students to be comfortable while practicing. For the coldest periods of the year, the school provides slippers.
Stand Up Paddle for all?
Hoya surf school welcomes a diverse public all year round. Our teaching methods are adapted to all types of public and to all age groups from 5 years old (school groups, associations, town halls, individuals).
Our sporting and environmental objectives
One of HOYA's objectives is to transmit respect for the educational and environmental notions linked to the practice of surfing and stand up paddling.
- Young people must be made aware of the preservation of the environment in which they surf and SUP practice (lakes, ocean). The Hoya team helps them to acquire the basics of environmental reasoning, transmits the notion of respect for others and teaches them the instructions specific to their activity to guarantee their safety.
- The HOYA school is committed to educating its students about respecting and protecting nature, as the activity is an ecological practice.
- The transmission of sporting objectives is in line with the ethical charter of the French Surfing Federation.
Our educational values
One of the priorities of the Surf and SUP school is to teach young people to live together by accepting the rules imposed by community life. The school acts in complementarity with the family and the educational places (schools, colleges...).
Our qualified and experienced educational team has the following priorities
- To encourage socialisation, exchange and autonomy.
- Respect adults and other young people during activity sessions.
- Learn to respect the rules.
- Be uncompromising about behaviour that does not conform to established rules.
It is on the values of stand up paddle that we rely to achieve these objectives.
Our educational project
The courses enable the teaching team to convey the following intentions:
- Be able to master specific information related to the aquatic environment and weather conditions.
- To appropriate the regulations in force for the practice of SUP.
- The transmission of sporting objectives in line with the ethical charter of the French Surfing Federation.
- Be able to analyse the environment and conditions for safe SUP practice.
- Be able to choose your equipment according to the conditions of practice and the weather.
- Assimilate the techniques related to the practice of SUP according to one's level of practice and abilities.